Ever Changing Energy Quiz
Choose the correct answer.
1. _____ was the primary source for cooking, warmth and light, pre-1885.
c) Natural gas
Coal came to be used next to the wood.
2. _____ patented the modern day steam engine. Coal was used to produce steam for early steam engines.
a) Thomas Edison
b) James Watt
c) Isaac Newton
3. Coal became the principal fuel used by steam powered _____.
4. Coal was the most important fuel from 1885-1950. One half ton of coal produced as much energy as _____ tons of wood and at half the cost.
The amount of time that oil began to exceed coal.
5. _____ became our most used energy source because of automobiles from 1950-present.
6. It is labor intensive to carry coal. However, it is easy to carry oil thanks to the ＿＿＿＿＿.
Nuclear power-Natural gas.
7. The world's worst nuclear power accident happened at the _____ plant in the former USSR (now Ukraine).
b) Three Mile Island
c) New Delhi
8. Nuclear replaced _____ as the second-largest source of electricity in the United States, after coal in 1984.
9. Natural gas distributors began adding mercaptan with its _____ smell to the otherwise odorless natural gas, so that leaks could be easily detected.
10. Nuclear energy generated more electricity than _____ in 1983.
b) natural gas
c) Photovoltaic power generation
Ever Changing Energy
Created by Atsushi Otani